Sunday, June 28, 2015


Things moving forward


A Facebook friend of mine, a guitarist offered to record some tracks. I sent him two songs to listen to. I'm quite anxiously waiting for what he has to say. The thing is, of course, that I'm not a guitarist myself, as I explained earlier, so I can't naturally hear/see whether something is easy or difficult to play. I'll leave it to him to comment and make suggestions.

If he records the guitars I'll be one step closer to releasing an actual demo, with which I can possibly attract players from my region. Of course, he could be the guitarist but he lives in another city, 500 km east. Training would be scarce, nearly impossible. And expensive.

On another matter: Everyone on social media is showing off their support for gay marriage, now that the U.S has finally passed the law to legalize it. It's all good and fine, I'm happy for those who can now marry their sweethearts, make a public commitment to them and have the same legal rights as the rest of us. I just got tired of the hype already. It must be just my cynicism and general hatred of humankind, because of course it's a cause for celebration, but I get the feeling that most people just ride on this holy horse of supporting a thing they actually couldn't care less about. "Look at me! I support these rights too! I'm a good person, and at least I'm not a biggot!". Good for you.

It's the same phenomenon whether it's human rights issues, environmental issues, ethical issues or any other issue you are expected to have an opinion about. You can also see it in fashion and all other trends that surface every once in a while. It's this herd behaviour that I get sick from.  How many of us actually formed our opinions based on facts and not on what everyone else is doing? How many of us actually thought it through before spewing out an opinion? How many of us can actually say that hes/her opinion is one of hes/her own?  Most of us don't have that honour, and I include myself in that.

I always hate it when I see signs of this herd behavior in me. I hate it even more when I catch myself from being self-righteous, thinking that at least I don't do the things they do. At least I'm a good person. Because I have the same trendy opinion than all the others around me. And I show it on Facebook.

So I wrote a song about it a while ago, one of the two songs I just sent to the guitarist willing to record. Here's the chorus:


And we laugh and we laugh
until we choke
and we want to cry
but the tears won't show
and everything bad
is someone else's fault
'cause we are good people
we're such good people




No comments:

Post a Comment