Sunday, June 21, 2015



How to find band members?

That's the question that has been  bugging me for a while now. I've tried to find players through several channels, on a musicians' wanted-page, asking around through friends, all that. It doesn't seem to work out.

I suspect that this genre is one reason. It's just not big enough to attract people. All genres of metal are widely popular where I live but Goth isn't such a thing. Often Goth gets confused with metal, especially Gothic Metal (You know, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil and the likes) because the aesthetics are much alike. Most people here who dress goth don't necessarily listen to any "real" or original Goth bands. So it's hard to find guitarists for example, who'd understand what I'm stylistically looking for.

I asked a guitar player to try and join, if she likes the music. She tried but then said that the music is too depressing. But I got to know some cool people through her. We had one rehearsal- or should I say try out-session together and then they all said they didn't feel like this music was for them. Such a shame! So now it's still only me and the drummer, who actually is my brother by the way. Usually good bands are formed with friends and the music evolves from playing together. It's really difficult the other way around, having the music but no players. Well, I have brothers and friends but they live far away or bands are not their cup of tea...

To find people that would actually enjoy playing this kind of music: this dark, pessimistic, melancholic rock, that stylistically looks back to Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, Fields of the Nephilim, all those Gothic landmarks... To find those people there has to be a way. So I've decided that I'm going to put together two or three songs and record demos of them at my other brother's studio. I'm able to do vocals and keyboards, maybe even some of the guitars, and the drummerbrother will do the drums, of course. Then we'll put these demos out there, to Soundcloud for example, and restart the lookout for players. It's going to be much easier for any interested players to decide whether this is for them, or not.

This process is actually already started. I have completed two of the three intended songs on paper and in LMMS, with vocals and lyrics and everything. Now I just need to schedule and plan the recording sessions. I hope this will happen at the end of this summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment